'; //-->

Monday, October 11, 1999

FAREWELL, LAST SON OF KRYPTON

I was too young to see the first two Superman movies in the theater, but my uncle saw "Superman II" on its opening night. According to him, when Christopher Reeve appeared outside the window of the Daily Planet and said, "General Zod. I think you and I need to step outside," the audience erupted in thunderous applause and cheering.

People say that Superman became associated with Reeve to the detriment of his career. I don't think that's necessarily true; Reeve appeared in "The Remains of the Day" in 1993 and was excellent. He had some very good roles outside of Superman.

It might be more accurate to say that Superman became permanently associated with Christopher Reeve. Can't look at the comics, or watch the cartoons anymore, without seeing some aspect of the actor in the character. Look at the old Simon and Schuster strips (They're reproduced in some relatively cheap formats.), then grab the latest issue of "Superman" or "Action Comics." I don't know if I recognize the four-color character of 60+ years ago in the modern incarnation. But I can see Christopher Reeve. Maybe that's all the need be said.

Harry Knowles has a great tribute to Reeve at his site. Click to read Christopher Reeve passes on...

Oh yeah, one more thing:

http://www.miami.com/images/realcities/realcities/9891/97840880810.jpg

Da da-da-da-da
Dah dah dah
Da da-da-da-da
DAH DA-DAH!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home