'; //-->

Monday, September 04, 2006

WHY LEAVE THE NEIGHBORHOOD, EVER?

In honor of Labor Day, I thought I would write something honoring the men and women who make up our country’s food industry. But then I thought about it, and realized that I don’t really know anything about our country’s food industry, save the local shops and restaurants where I occasionally buy my food. Then I thought about it some more, and came to the conclusion that I didn’t really want to “work” on Labor Day, it being a holiday and all.

So instead, here’s a list of places to get great food located near where K. and I live. Happy Labor Day, everybody!

FOR MEAT: MARIO & SONS MEAT MARKET, 662 Metropolitan Ave. If you’re looking for great quality meat, this place is your best bet. In the case of certain things, such as bacon, they’re actually cheaper than the non-sale price at the supermarket down the block. Sure, it took a while for the butcher to warm up to us, and his artiste attitude towards his work can still be off-putting at times. But you can’t beat his beef, pork, or sausage. Too bad he’s religious; his shop is never open on Sundays.

FOR PRODUCE: THE FARMER’S MARKET, McCarren Park. For nine months out of the year, you can drop by on Saturday mornings for fresh fruit, vegetables, and Ronnybrook Farms dairy. What’s even better, if the weather is good, you can sit in the grass next to the food tents, listen to live music, and watch small children and dogs running back and forth. Finally, it’s a great walk, definitely worth taking once in a while.

FOR MOZZERELLA: TEDONE LATTICINI, 597 Metropolitan Ave. One of the best examples of this essential cheese comes from this modest-looking shop, which doesn’t even have a sign above the door. But if you’ve ever tasted their fresh mozzarella, sold in large balls sealed up in plastic containers, you’d remember the location. The elderly shopkeeper and cheese-maker, beaming with pride from behind a counter that displays her wares, positively dares you to take umbrage at the price, or the lack of any indicators for what’s what. Go ahead and walk out if your courage fails. You’ll be replaced by plenty of other neighborhood cheese connouseurs, who wouldn’t dream of buying the first ingredient for their mozzarella, basil, and tomato salad anywhere else.

FOR BREAD: NAPOLI BAKERY, 616 Metropolitan Ave. They sell crusty Italian loaves that put supermarket equivalents to shame. I personally recommend their sourdough rolls, which don’t necessarily taste anything like authentic sourdough, but are fresh and wonderful in their own way. Some advice: Don’t wait until after 6 p.m. to pick up some bread for dinner, or the only thing left might be the wheat biscuits, quite possibly the most inedible form of bread I have ever encountered.

MISC. SNACKING:

FOR PIZZA: Turn off Metropolitan Ave. at just about any crosswalk, and you’re likely to bump into a pizza place. I’ve tried three of them so far, and none have disappointed.

FOR BURRITOS: EL LOCO BURRITO, next to Satchmo’s on Graham Ave. I don’t remember the exact address of this tasty restaurante. I suppose I could go take a walk and find out, but remember, I’m into that whole “Not doing too much work on Labor Day” thing.

FOR BAGELS: THE BAGEL STORE, 754 Metropolitan Ave. Their French toast bagels, something I’ve never had anywhere else, are terrific. Indulge in cream cheese with yours.

FOR CARROT CAKE: SETTEPANI INC., 602 Lorimer St. Generous slices, very reasonably-priced.

FOR GELATO: A place called FORTUNATO BROTHERS on 289 Manhattan Ave has better gelato than some heavily-hyped Italian pastry shops in Manhattan. I personally recommend the chocolate, lemon, and tiramisu flavors. They also have a very attractive and comfortable dine-in seating area. It’s almost ironic that this pastelleria has a big glass display window for their cheesecakes, but that stuff isn’t nearly as good as their gelato. What’s next, we discover that the Fortunato Brothers are all women?

Before signing off, I just want to point out that if not for my girlfriend K., I doubt I would have discovered many of these places. Thanks go out to her. By the way, did I mention that everything is within walking distance to where she and I live? It’s ideal for folks like me, who spend Labor Day writing blog entries about food, but who don’t want to work too hard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home