'; //-->

Friday, July 30, 2004

THE CLOCK DISPLAY ON MY RADIO DIES; DID ODIN KILL IT?

Just a few minutes ago, as I finished writing my "Spider-Man 2" review, I got up to check the time on my radio—and discovered the crystalline monitor totally blank!

It took me a minute to realize that it wasn’t right. As long as there’s power going to the box, the time should be on that monitor. And the radio was playing, so electricity had to be finding its way in. Unless… my beloved Sony was finally on its last leg.

I got that radio as a Christmas present back when I was a freshman. In high school. It would have been eleven years old come December, which would be about 77 in dog years. My Sony was a very good radio that lasted longer than it should have. The CD player stopped working six months ago, and now that the monitor is kaput—I guess I should finally buy a new one.

Anyone in need of a radio/CD player with a non-working CD player and non-functioning crystalline monitor?

Oh yeah, so I had started lamenting over the radio that I shall soon have to discard, when the phone rang. It was someone from Nautica, and they wanted to know whether I had ever met Odin.

"Excuse me?" I asked.

"Have you ever met Odin?" the person asked again.

"You mean, like, the Lord of Asgard? That Odin?"

Laughter from the other side of the phone line. "Nooooo. Odin in charge of the mailroom. A____
(My boss) passed your resume on to him, and he wants to interview you Monday about a spot that’s opened up."

I’ve never met Odin, but I’m going to interview for the mailroom gig Monday. An interview with Odin. Hey, it pays .50 more per hour than my current position. Of course, the boss does tend to hurl lightning bolts at you if he sees you slacking.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

About Sony:

I've been burned by Sony so many times in the last two years that I will never purchase one of their products again. I don't care if it's the best reviewed whatever, I'll find something else.

The strange thing is that the only Sony device that has never failed me is, you guessed it, my alarm clock!

-J

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, man. Sony stereo and CD player: 11 1/2 years. I'm never buying anything other than Sony.

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was me, by the way.

-Phil

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home