'; //-->

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

WOULD GRAD SCHOOL BE GOOD SCHOOL FOR PHIL? PART II: GRAD SCHOOL WOULD BE GOOD SCHOOL FOR PHIL

Two days ago, City University left a message on my phone while I was visiting my uncle in Bellevue. Apparently, they were impressed enough by my grades in Speech-Language Pathology prerequisites (especially the all-important Phonetics course) that they’re admitting me conditionally for the fall. I just need to take a second Behavioral Science course (Psychology, Sociology) during the summer, and an introductory Audiology course within the next academic year. Meanwhile, tuition is dirt-cheap, and I may apply for housing at the Brookdale campus. If I get in, my dwelling and all my classes would be in the same facility. It might be the closest I’ll ever get to achieving my fantasy of living inside the STF-1!

The more important issue, however, is whether I want to enter this particular program of study. While it offers an excellent opportunity (CUNY allows for internships at some very good clinics/hospitals), I am also waiting to hear back from NYU, Boston University, among others, regarding my application for their graduate programs in Cinema Studies. Of course, no matter what happens in the next few weeks, at least my back-up plan came through. Should the world of graduate film study decide to shun me like John Landis after that "Amazing Stories" movie tragedy, I won’t be in complete limbo. I’ll just be in Brookdale.

(Oh yeah, in case anyone was wondering, I did apply to NYU's SLP program, too. But unlike CUNY, they tend to look down on undergraduate-level prerequisite courses taken five years ago. Like the mouth has evolved that much in five years!)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super Terrestrial Fortress-1?

-Hal

12:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS Congratulations!

-HAL!

1:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, STF-1 = Super Terrestrial Fortress-1!

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home