'; //-->

Saturday, November 23, 2002

IS STEVEN SODERBERGH OVERRATED?

So I finally watched "The Limey" last night. Everyone I've talked to told me that it's great. And of course, it's by critically-lauded indie director Steven Soderbergh, whose movies I will watch. Anyway, I really liked the movie. Cool puzzle-box structure, and use of old clips from Terrence Stamp flicks. Apparently, the man was always intense-looking.

"The Limey" also helped brought up a question, one which I've been loathe to ask until I'd seen more of Soderbergh's flicks: Is Steven Soderbergh overrated? His first three flicks and "The Limey" tell me no. I enjoyed "sex, lies, and videotape," "Kafka," and "King of the Hill." In fact, the lack of commercial success for the latter two indicates he might actually be UNDERRATED. But there's also "Schizopolis" and "Ocean's Eleven," movies that had some strengths. However, I wouldn't describe either of them as masterpieces. I think of these movies and say to myself, "That Soderbergh fella might be OVERRATED."

To date, the only Soderbergh flicks I haven't seen are "The Underneath" and "Julia Robertvich." I'm not sure whether to consider "Full Frontal" one of SS' movies, or just something he took a week off to film. But "Solaris" comes out in a few weeks, and I am anticipating that as much as "Gangs of New York."

But seriously, what do film buffs out there think of Steven Soderbergh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home