'; //-->

Monday, April 28, 2003

BOWNE FOR GLORY?

Well, it was bound to happen. I am officially trading my current soul-crushing job in for a new gig which, hopefully, will not be as soul-crushing. Now, as I prepare to begin a new life at Bowne Global Communications, running Word macros for a living, one small question remains:

What is a Word macro, and why would anyone be interested in running it?

I swear, I paid careful attention to my future boss, as she explained the job as best she could over the phone. I even took notes. Yet by the end of the conversation, I was still at a loss as to what the job entailed. Then I e-mailed someone who used to have the same job. My query was something along the lines of: "...I'm supposed to use different macros on Word documents. It sounds like I'm working with food additives." This was clearly a cry for help. But this other person's reply was: "Yeah, it's just like that, only instead of food additives, you're using macros." THIS DOESN'T HELP ME! All you did was invert my original question! I still don't understand what this job is supposed to entail. Perhaps if someone could explain to me what a macro is? Sounds like the nickname for a really big microwave.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home