'; //-->

Friday, April 11, 2003

More updates:

I never wrote about my job here in this fictional Iraqi city. I work for the city's primary medical insurance provider. I make spreadsheets and do data entry. It's about as fun as it sounds. However, we've been experiencing a boom in business since the regime change. Suddenly, medical coverage seems like a good idea. In the past, if you became too sick or infirm, you wouldn't go to see a doctor. Instead, you'd start denouncing Saddam publicly. Then Ouday or somebody would visit your house with an M-16. Problem solved.

But now I've got to slowly suffer when I get sick. It's that, or see a doctor.

My department recently moved into a brand new office building. I'm on the 12th floor. Everything's so new. It smells like my old dormitory freshman year. They had just opened "Panther Hall," and my entering class were the first to use it. It's a nice smell; sort of like the inside of a car on a showroom lot. It won't last, of course. Nothing does.

Life as an office monkey is sure dull and repetitive. Thank God America has toppled the regime, and will be bringing their brand of "freedom" to Iraq. I'm sure office jobs in America aren't nearly as restricting as they are here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home