'; //-->

Monday, June 02, 2003

MY FIRST DAY AT BOWNE:

Tomorrow will be better.

That is my new mantra, and it is one I need, because I do not know what the hell I am doing at Bowne. I feel like I spent the entire day working with my head up my ass. I have no idea what anything is, or what anyone is talking about, or how I am supposed to do anything. And it isn’t like I don’t try. I take notes, lots of notes. But I still end up totally confused and disoriented, like a bat caught in a wind tunnel.

Why did these people even hire me? Maybe it’s because, on a whole, they’re nice folks. The techpool consists of XB, project manager, who makes an honest effort to teach me this whole macro-running schtick. Her patience makes me feel even worse when, by late afternoon, I still have to consult with her on every other step of the process. I can’t help but worry that her patience is running out. Hey XB, just run the sword through me and put me out of my misery. No? Okay. By the way, how do I do the thing we’re supposed to do after the other thing again? Hello?

Ooh, let’s talk about the rest of the techpool. It’s just me, XB, and three others: L (male), LD (female), and A (female). And you know what? Everyone’s been pretty nice to me. One of the girls I work with is supposed to have a head wound, but I haven’t figured out which. And I don’t care. I have enough to worry about trying to figure out this labyrinthian Rubix cube of a job I’m entrenched in.

BACK TO THE IMPORTANT STUFF:

So I decided to rewatch the Hong Kong flick “Infernal Affairs” over the weekend. I can’t help thinking about those film critics who savage a movie when it first comes out, and then, a few years or a decade down the line, they’ll see the movie again and say, “In hindsight, it’s a masterpiece.” I’m not taking that profound a 180-degree turn with “I.A.” However, now that I’ve rewatched, I do think it’s a lot better put together than I initially gave it credit for. It still has flaws, but it’s solid entertainment with a good premise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home