'; //-->

Saturday, March 27, 2004

As most of you may or may not be aware, Tom Hanks’ latest film, “The Ladykillers,” is also the latest by the Coen Brothers, Joel and Ethan. While I am an unabashed fan of the Coens’ frequent cinematic forays, and have been ever since I saw “The Hudsucker Proxy” (1994) on cable, even I will admit that the quality of their work has been declining since 1996’s “Fargo.” The Coens’ subsequent two films, “The Big Lebowski” (1998) and “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” (2000) weren’t terrible films. In fact, between “Fargo” and “…Lebowski,” I would argue that the latter features less of that oft-detracting quality that one finds in Coen Brothers’ movies: goony behavior.

Rent “…Lebowski” and watch it again if you don’t believe me. Jeffrey “The Dude” Lebowski and the other residents of the Coens’ Los Angeles are all a bit offbeat, but they seem way more… grounded. They don’t act like their I.Q.’s are smaller than their bowling shoe sizes. As opposed to just about every other Coen Brothers movie, and especially their worst, 1987’s “Raising Arizona,” where every other line of dialogue must have been typed up in caps. God, “Raising Arizona” was awful.

However, the point of this post isn’t to criticize the Coens for churning out mediocre flicks since making it to Hollywood. If I wanted to do that, I would have mentioned “Intolerable Cruelty” (2003) already. My God, that movie was mediocre! It couldn’t have been the Coen Brothers, or it couldn’t have been Joel and Ethan, at least. The REAL Coens wouldn’t toss off a movie like that. They know that the name Rex Rexroth isn’t funny unless spoken by a cartoon dog named Astro.

Will “The Ladykillers” mark a return to form? Probably not. But in the meantime, let us commemorate its release by qualifying Joel and Ethan Coens’ earlier, better movies.

TOP FIVE COEN BROTHERS MOVIES:

1. “Fargo.” Best Coens ever. Am I the only one who can still hear Carter Burnwell’s score echoing in their head?
2. “Blood Simple.” The last 20 minutes are hair-raising.
3. “The Big Lebowski.” Not a goon show.
4. “Barton Fink.” So very, very strange. But I liked it.
5. “Miller’s Crossing.” I’ve looked in my heart, and this movie is okay.

Worst: “Raising Arizona.” Oh, Hi! EVERY OTHER LINE IN THIS SUCKY MOVIE IS IN CAPS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home