'; //-->

Saturday, January 08, 2005

BECAUSE I COULD BE WRITING GRAD SCHOOL APPLICATION ESSAYS…

…Let me talk about Veryfine Grape Drink instead.

Back when I was a wee lad, so wee I was still living in the bowels of Brooklyn, Veryfine Grape Drink was my favorite beverage. Granted, it was full of sugar, bereft of actual juice, and tended to leave a lasting stain on a white T-shirt. But it was also the perfect antidote to a hot summer day, and the bottle had the coolest label ever: Plain white, with a simple, cartoony drawing of a bunch of purple grapes.

I associate so many happy times with Veryfine Grape Drink. The summer right before my family up and moved to Miami, my cousin R., whose parents were going through a separation, stayed over at our house. R., my brother K., and I would spend our carefree summer days playing tee-ball in Marine Park. We’d come home, sweaty and our hair matted, and we’d immediately run to the fridge, where we’d be sure to find it stocked with Veryfine Grape Drink. It always hit the spot!

Unfortunately, Veryfine products were bottled in Massachusetts, so when I got to Miami, I found to my distress that none of the supermarkets carried them. No bottles with the plain white labels and simple drawings of fruit were anywhere to be found! I couldn’t help feeling that an important era in my life was now over. Also, I went through extremely painful sugar withdrawal, which could only be tempered by a combination of Kool-Aid and methadone. But that’s another story…

Time passed, and eventually, I learned to live without my Veryfine Grape Drink. I heard a rumor that the company had gone out of business, having been squeezed out of the unhealthy kids drink market by such pretenders as "Hi-C" and "Capri-Sun." (Capri-Sun? Who drinks juice in a bag? What are we, Bedouins?) I admit that, during moments of weakness, I humbled myself and drank Hi-C in order to avoid juice, or worse, milk. But the experience always left me feeling cheapened. What can I say? Veryfine had the gift of making me feel "very fine," but Hi-C neither gave me a "high," or helped me to "see" anything, other than the mediocrity of Hi-C.

Perhaps I wouldn’t have taken the loss of Veryfine Grape Drink so badly if the adjustment to South Florida had been easier. But it wasn’t, and many times, I needed the comfort of a familiar beverage. When I was at my most desperate, after I heard that the company had gone out of business, I went to the library to see if I could find a recipe for Veryfine Grape Drink in the public domain, and I did. Unfortunately, my chemistry skills were non-existent at this time. While attempting to synthesize sucrose, I ended up manufacturing regular ethanol. On the bright side, the drink was a hit in the more rural areas upstate, and the blindness I experienced after first ingesting the strange brew was only temporary.

But there’s a happy ending to this story: Just this morning, on the way home from the bank, I stopped into my local newsstand to get the paper. I thought about purchasing a Snapple, and while perusing the soft drink freezer, I saw a product called "Veryfine Chillers." They had a flavor called "Glacial Grape" which sounded a lot like the old Veryfine Grape Drink from my youth, only this one contains actual juice concentrate. It contains 100% of the advised daily requirement of Vitamin C. But get this: It tastes just like Veryfine Grape Drink!

Apparently, Snapple bought the old line, and hopes "Chillers" will catch on with the health-conscious drink market. I don’t know whether they’ll succeed, but I hope they do, so I can still enjoy the happier part of my childhood on a hot summer day. Here’s a reason to think things might just turn out okay: Snapple has a monopoly on all the vending machines in New York City public schools. That means they can almost force students to purchase Veryfine Glacial Grape Chillers, or any other flavor Chiller. And security guards aren’t letting students bring in drinks or bottled water from home, lest they interfere with the monopoly. So take that, Capri Sun and Hi-C! Your reign of sugary drink mediocrity is over!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sucrose isn't that hard to synthesize. In fact you can buy it over the counter at many, many locations. To be exact, the molecule you should ask for to avoid any confusion is ?-D-glucopyranose ?(1-2) ?-D-fructofuranose.

"Capri-Sun? Who drinks juice in a bag? What are we, Bedouins?" Blog line of the year.

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was me and the ?'s should be the greek letter alpha.

-J

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feel free to add "closet Bedouin" to the quickly mounting list of my crimes.

-K

Will it sully your experience if I tell you the reason I can't drink Veryfine grape is that is has an uncanny Grape Dimetapp flavor?

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

-"Sucrose isn't that hard to synthesize..."

Yes, but I was, like, 10 years old. Should sucrose be difficult for a 10-year old to synthesize?

To K: I drink grape drink PRECISELY because it tastes similar to Grape Dimetapp. In fact, if you water it down a little, it tastes almost exactly the same as Veryfine Grape Drink, I now realize...

This reminds me of the time I drank too much cough syrup. I believe that was an early 2004 post...

What are everyone's favorite hard-to-get, impossible-to-forget foods/beverages...? WHEN BLOGS ATTACK! wants to know!

-P

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, I've got to try me one of them Violet Crumbles.

Grape Kool-Aid! Oh yeah! Almost any Kool-Aid is pretty good, now that I think about it. I didn't drink Orange Crush until I was a teenager, and then I would sing the R.E.M. song while enjoying it.

Since my sinuses are still a little stuffed, I went to the supermarket and bought two big bottles of Gatorade. One was lemon-lime, the other fruit punch. But I like both equally, so I can't decide which to drink first.

Lemon-lime vs. Fruit Punch. The mind boggles!

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man, my favorite candy bar used to be the Whatchamacallit bar and then came the dark, dark day they added caramel to completely destroy the crisp, chocolatey goodness. The wonderful crunch of the crisp wafer of peanut and chocolate was now had diarrhea colored goo mushing up the texture. Gone was my refuge from gooey, "nougat"-laden bars. Gone was the quick and easy answer whenever an infulgent adult asked what candy bar I wanted. I weep bitter tears.

Okay, not really weeping since I GOT MY iBOOK BACK! Yeah, baby!!!!!

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home