'; //-->

Sunday, June 29, 2003

HEY, YOU'RE THE ONE SELLING IT...

Had one of those highlight reel moments the other day at the Sam Goody in Kings Plaza. I found a discount copy of Lumet's "Dog Day Afternoon," and I figured I'd buy it for my brother. Now, I'm waiting in line for the cashier, and I notice that she spends several minutes with every customer asking if they're interested in joining the Sam Goody "Blah-blah-blah" Club, where you get a free DVD for every hundred you buy, or something. Whatever.

Anyway, when it's finally my turn, she takes a look at my choice of purchase that day and feigns interest. "Ooh. What's this about?" she asks.

I look her straight in the eye and tell her the God's honest truth: "It's about this guy who tries to rob a bank so that his gay lover can have the sex-change operation he needs." This was followed by a BIG smile.

The cashier kind of stared at me, blinked a few times, then replied, "Oh." Then she handed me back my credit card (we handled the financial transaction right along with the verbal one) and more or less sped me on my way.

But the best part is, she didn't bother offering me a membership in the Sam Goody "Blah-blah-blah" Club!


AN ISSUE REGARDING TOP TEN MOVIE LISTS:

So I rewatched "Once Upon a Time in China" for the third time (Would that make it "Thrice Upon a Time in China?" Never mind. Don't want my brain to explode.) I actually think this movie gets better every time I see it. Ever since I acquired some modest knowledge about film technique, I find the fight scenes ever more fascinating. My God, Tsui Hark and Woo-Ping Yuen understand the magic of continuity editing like no other filmmaker I've ever seen. I mean, it's easy to make sleek fight scenes, a la "Matrix," when you have the money to back it up. Hark and Co. did not, and yet, thanks to continuity editing, their film manages to be convincing.

Getting to the point: I've decided, after much deliberation, that OUATIC is the #1 film for 1991. I like it even more than "Delicatessen," and I really like "Delicatessen." What can I say? 1991 is a really strong year, in my opinion. Now, OUATIC 2 is the #1 film of 1992. Is it considered gauche to have consecutive #1 films by the same filmmaker, and in the same series? Would it be considered gauche to institute a tie, as I would have no problem making both OUATIC and "Delicatessen" #1 movies for that year? Surely there is some authority to whom I can take this problem to. Authority, where art thou?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home