'; //-->

Monday, September 15, 2003

WHAT I'VE BEEN UP TO OVER THE PAST WEEK II:

So I'm not attending Rutgers. I guess that's okay, because the lull in educational activities gave me time for careful introspection. The result: I'm not sure I want to be a librarian anymore.

Sure, I still enjoy libraries, but I don't know if I want to work in one for rest of my life. Also, I think I was more attracted to the opportunity of putting off growing up for another two years. It's very difficult for librarians to find work in the city. For all I know, two years from now, MLA degree in hand, I would have been in the same exact position I am in now. I don't want to work in the middle of nowhere. I practically grew up in the middle of nowhere, and the isolation was only good for writing. There must be some other line of work that is suitable for me. I don't know what it is yet, but I am definitely trying to find it.

Some have suggested the law. NYU Continuing Ed offers a combination LSAT prep and classroom simulation in the evenings. I am thinking of signing up for it. I just finished a week of learning Final Cut Pro for the MacIntosh. I was hoping the class would offer more on the art of editing than how to navigate a software program, but I managed to be partnered with a guy named Jeremy Lerman, a former NYU film student whose first film is currently making the festival rounds (You can find it on imdb). He gave me a lot of pointers regarding just basic editing. I learned stuff, but I'm not sure if filmmaking is my calling just yet.

I also took some classes on basic Microsoft Access at BMCC. Real cheap, but very helpful. I'm starting some editing courses at NYU Continuing Ed; maybe I'll earn a publishing certificate from them.

Finally, I heard so many good things about NYU's M.A. in English Education program that I called up some of the faculty and asked if I could sit in on a class or two. They were all very receptive, and I've got an M.A. Seminar this very evening to attend. Through all of this chaos, of course, I am actively looking for a full-time job. The economy still sucks, but I'm too busy to give up.

If you happen to be hanging around NYU, that blurred image out of the corner of your eye is probably me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home