'; //-->

Tuesday, December 17, 2002

TWA & MTA REACH AGREEMENT LLN!

Late last night, the Transit Workers’ Union reached a tentative agreement with the Metropolitan Transit Authority regarding a new contract. The proposed 3-year deal guarantees the union will not whine about money for the next 2 days.

WOULD GRAD SCHOOL BE GOOD SCHOOL FOR PHIL?

Reasons why I’m not sure I should get that MLA-accredited grad degree:

The “experts” (Bureau of Labor and Statistics, independent net articles, etc.) say that librarian positions will be growing more slowly than the average in the next few years. So, rather than specializing in Library and Information Sciences, a prospective library student should go for the broader Master of Science in Information Studies degree. The MSIS is also MLA accredited, but it’s more technology-based. It’s a license to design intranets for whoever wants ‘em.

Well, that’s all fine and good. However, my interest in Library Science was piqued by the chance to be a librarian, not a technology expert. So I’m not sure if I want to do this now, especially since grad school, from what I’ve read, requires a great deal of sustained interest on the part of the student. Can textbooks for building intranets sustain my interest?

HOW TOUGH IS GRAD SCHOOL?

Good question. I imagine grad school to be like undergraduate school, only much, much tougher. I imagine phone books’ worth of material to be read every week, projects every week, papers every other day. Is it really that arduous, or does the student forget the arduousness since, after all, he/she is immersing him/herself in a subject they are passionate about? I’d expect passion to be required for graduate school. I’m not sure how passionate I can be about studying Information Technology.

IN CLOSING…

But it’s stupid to let dark thoughts and daydreams freak me out. After all, many of you readers are in grad school already, or have probably pondered attending it. Give me your impressions/ horror stories about grad school. I can freak out plenty on those.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home